butter blueberries

butter blueberries

Thursday, January 10, 2013

Stop & smell the roses...

At this time of year one of my favourite things to do is...



Stop & smell the "roses" & add some colour too!

I drop into my favourite local Florist shop...and purchase some fresh flowers.

I love the walk in cooler, the fragrance is so beautiful, also the flowers are just like candy to me...

Which one do I choose today?

Let's have some fun shall we?



Forcing white gypsophila (baby's breath) into having a subtle hint of blue...

Do it yourself:

You need fresh (white) flowers, these varieties work best, gypsophila, daisies, chrysanthemums and  carnations.


Club House Food Colour Box.

Warm water.

Clean vase or glass jar.  Depending on the quantity of flowers tall drinking glasses would work as well.

Trim each individual flower under warm running water with a sharp knife or sharp floral scissors. 
Trim your flowers to fit the vase or glass container so they are not to long and droop over  ;0)

Make the trim cut at a slant / so that the stem will sit off to the one side in the vase taking in the most amount of water.





To your clean glass container add approximately 25 to 35 drops of Club House Blue Food Colour, to half a cup of warm water.  The more drops the darker colour of absorption for the flower.

Place the fresh cut flower in the blue coloured warm water, it will take a couple of hours before you will start to see the blue food colouring  being absorbed by the flower.  


Depending on the type of flower it may take as long as 24 hours.  (It is so much fun to watch it happen)!  ;0)





After the flower has reached the colour intensity that you like, arrange it in a clean vase with fresh warm water and other flowers.  It will continue to drink water and the  forced colour will continue to change over the length of the flower arrangement.





This will make you smile!

This post is attending as a guest @ these great parties!


All the Best,

Christine





10 comments:

  1. Thanks for the 'recipe' for colouring white flowers. I've seen them done before but haven't tried it myself. Your bouquet is pretty. I picked up some tulips today at the grocery store. The first lot came in fresh from PEI just as I got there! I love tulips in winter. Hugs, Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hadn't heard that before. How cool that it does that. They really look lovely in that baby blue shade also.
    Cher Sunray Gardens

    ReplyDelete
  3. Colouring the flowers is new to me as well. Lovely photos!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Christine, I have seen this done before. Mostly for Science Fairs. But I have never tried it myself. Thanks for telling us how. I bet it is awfully fun to watch. Love the hint of blue with the lovely roses! I would love if you linked up and shared this with Share Your Cup. Your new header is so beautiful!
    Hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  5. The coloured flowers are popular so this is a great post to show people how to do it yourself! Depending on the colour, they are usually the first to sell out.
    Thanks for your visit and the follow! I'm following you as well, your blog looks wonderful.
    Debbie :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful and so soft looking. Love this idea!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it. I may need to try this next time I use my forget me not China.

    ReplyDelete

Please, drop me a line...I would love to hear from you. I enjoy reading all of your comments.
If you have any questions, I will try my best to answer them for you. Thanks for the visit! Enjoy the rest of your day...