butter blueberries

butter blueberries

Saturday, January 05, 2013

New Year's visitor...

The other day much to my daughter's surprise to her daily routine.  
Something was different as she stepped out onto the back covered porch, the air around her felt different.  

Every morning she takes Riley out for a walk around the back yard to smell and check out the freshly fallen snow, rabbit tracks etc.  But on this morning a lot of activity was awaiting her with birds flying back and forth, crows cawing loudly. Suddenly a big swish over her head, a fast glimpse of something emerging from the cedar hedge.

  On her way around to the backyard and behind the garage they made their first stop.  She has a moment to look around and notices some birds are in the large pine trees on our property line. 




 Birds she knows well: a cardinal, two blue jays, a cluster of chickadees flying in and out of the trees.  The crows are now circling the pine tree as well.  When she looks closer she sees a slight movement, and upon closer observation there on a branch tucked into the trunk of the pine tree a large Owl.

Well, this is what all of the ruckus is about....

Their explorations of the backyard cut short, she whisks Riley back and around into the house.

In the back door they come in a flurry "Mom, come outside there is a Owl in the backyard, grab your camera, hurry"! 

Well you know that is really all I need to hear...

Music to my ears...!

I went into the backyard and I couldn't believe all of the noise, the crows cawing loudly still all around the yard.  The huge Blue Jays flying in and out of the trees.  Chickadees singing...fluttering about!

It took me a few moments to see the Owl in the tree, so well did he blend into the trunk of the pine tree.  
He noticed us too, looking right at us he swoops down and out of the tree.  
Just a beautiful sight to see heading towards and almost out of our backyard but he landed on the back chain link fence to rest, sitting on the fence...

Well, I think he is posing for his picture!
What a natural...!


Hello!  Mr. Owl...



Watching the black crows...





All of a sudden, quite content, oblivious to all of the ruckus 
around him...




Him winking at us...  ;0)

Magnificent!!

Have a great weekend everyone!

All the Best,
Christine

10 comments:

  1. Oh goodness...what a treat! He is gorgeous! Happy New Year, Christine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are cool looking but keep in mind they are birds of prey and can snatch a puppy. They could snatch my toy dogs period and we have one around here plus hawks. Scary with small animals. Can't believe he came down closer to you. He was instigating you. :)
    Cher Sunray Gardens

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! What a beautiful photo, you were lucky in getting this! Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's incredible. I've never seen an owl other than in the country. It's gorgeous!
    -Karen

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is magnificent Christine. I'm so glad you were able to get pics of him. I've never seen one in the wild. Enjoy the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful owl! I'm glad you were able to capture him like that. That's a rare opportunity to see one during the day like that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful visitor! He is a beautiful fellow indeed! Happy New Year to you & your Family.

    Wanda

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a stunning photo! He is adorable :) I'm not sure how I haven't found your blog before, but it's lovely! Coming by to visit from Kim's SSS. Happy New Year, and I look forward to reading your blog this year!
    Cheers, Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! What a wonderful visitor! And great pictures to remember the event.

    ReplyDelete

Please, drop me a line...I would love to hear from you. I enjoy reading all of your comments.
If you have any questions, I will try my best to answer them for you. Thanks for the visit! Enjoy the rest of your day...