butter blueberries

butter blueberries

Thursday, November 08, 2012

Industrial Bread Pan

I have always wanted one of these industrial bread pans.

 I grew up in a big city a block away from a big commercial bakery.  Everyday we would wake up to the smell of fresh bread being baked.




Especially in the heat of the summer when they would have all of the doors open to allow in the faintest breeze...
I can only imagine how terribly warm it would have been for them working inside and in front of those big commercial ovens.  They always started baking the pies when all the bread was done for the day.  Well you can only imagine then for the rest of the day the heavenly scent that drifted our way...  





My best friends mother worked there and she would start so early in the morning while everyone is still tucked in their beds.  She would walk home after a long day in the heat, dressed in a full uniform, all in white, white nylons, shoes, skirt, blouse and hair net. 



 I remember being over at their house as they only lived right across the street.  The very first thing she did everyday after work was have a very long bath. 



So when I gaze upon this industrial bread pan it brings back very fond memories of childhood summers long ago...

Some of my favorite words bread, baking, & pies.

All the Best,
Christine

6 comments:

  1. Good Morning Christine. You brought back a flood of memories for me. There was a small home bakery 2 blocks from our house too and we could smell the wonderful aromas on the air while outside playing. As my mother did not bake bread - ever - we would once in a while buy a loaf of home made bread from the bakery. I remember that ladies working there dressed as you said. They would place the warm bread in a paper bag and the buttered top of the bread would make a greasy mark on the bag. Yum! There were also 2 large commercial bakeries in town - Lanes and Butternut - located near the high school several blocks away. We'd smell it on the air walking to school. It's nice that you have the bread pans. Lovely photos. Hugs,
    Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely story, great memories. I have a vintage one but love the ideas of how they are filled with fruit. Great inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it, Christine. I can smell bread baking now from that bakery.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely piece, Christine. It will be so fun to use in vignettes. What lovely memories of the baking. I am a bit too fond of breads and pies and my stomach would have been growling everyday ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. One of the best smells there is. I really like that old bread pan. Haven't seen one before so found it very interesting.
    Cher Sunray Gardens

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Christine,
    There's nothing quite like the smell of bread baking in the oven. And of course, pies are one of my favorite desserts. What a wonderful childhood memory. The pan is a marvelous find. I don't think I've ever seen one. I can just picture your friends mother in her white attire. Being a bath person I can see why that would help to relax her after a hard days work. Really enjoyed your fond story.
    Hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete

Please, drop me a line...I would love to hear from you. I enjoy reading all of your comments.
If you have any questions, I will try my best to answer them for you. Thanks for the visit! Enjoy the rest of your day...